University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

Travel Outside the United States with a Student Visa

F-1 Travel Information

Travel within the United States and to U.S. territories is not restricted and no special documents are required. However, it is extremely important that you and your dependents carry your passport and visa documents with you when traveling in the U.S. in the event you need to present them to law enforcement officials.
Students may leave the U.S. and be readmitted after an absence of 5 months or less. If you are traveling outside the US, you will need the following documents in order to re-enter. Check each item in the list below for more detailed information.
**Please Note: You will be responsible for paying for any express mailing needed to get you a replacement I-20 or a travel signature for re-entry. The average charge for sending overseas by Federal Express is $20-$60.

Important Updates

**Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has automated the I-94 process for people who enter the U.S. via air or sea. F-1 students will no longer receive a paper I-94 card in their passport when they enter the U.S., unless they arrive by land from Canada or Mexico. Instead, the passport will be stamped and include information on the date of entry, port of entry, class of admission, and status expiration date. I-94 numbers will be able to be downloaded from the CBP I-94 website.**

Documents Needed for Re-Entry to U.S.

  • Valid Passport
    If your passport is expired or will be expiring within 6 months of when you are planning to travel, you should renew it BEFORE traveling. Contact your country’s home embassy in the U.S. (
  • Valid F-1 Entry Visa
    If your F-1 entry visa has expired or if you do not have an F-1 entry visa, you must apply for a new visa at a U.S. consulate abroad before you return (except Canadian citizens). It is not possible to get a new visa from within the United States. For information on applying for your visa, click here (note that steps 1 and 2 do not apply to returning students unless you have been out of the country for more than 5 months).

    Note: It is rare for returning students to be denied a new entry visa. However, there are no guarantees, and there is always some risk of a visa denial. This risk increases under the following situations:

    • You are applying for a visa in a country other than your home country (Third Country National Visa Applications.) You have the right to apply for a visa in any country, but it’s less risky to apply in your home country if possible. If you must apply in a third country, be prepared to present additional evidence that documents your need to get a visa in that country.
    • You are pursuing OPT. Students on OPT are eligible for an F-1 visa, but your risk of denial is increased, especially if you don’t have a job. If you must apply for a visa during your OPT period, be prepared to present evidence of employment (a letter from your employer is best) to the U.S. consulate.
    • You have close family members (spouse, parents, siblings) who are citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. If you have close family members in the U.S., a consular official may question your ties to your home country.
  • Valid I-20 document
    Please come to ISS (KSC 237) to request a new I-20.
  • Valid re-entry signature on page 3 of I-20
    I-20 signatures are valid for 1 year from the date signed. Please come to ISS (KSC 237) for a new signature if you need it.
    If you are currently on OPT, your travel signature is only valid for 6 months (despite what your I-20 says).
  • Documentary evidence of funding
    A bank statement (if your I-20 indicates Personal or Family Funds) and letter from sponsor, scholarship letter, or assistantship offer letter are all acceptable. 
  • Evidence of full-time enrollment at the University
    A transcript or enrollment verification letter, with Reduced Course Load forms if you have any, are all acceptable. These can be obtained at ISS or you can request an Enrollment Verification Letter or unofficial transcript.
  • EAD card and employment letter (for F-1s on post-completion OPT only)
    Under normal circumstances, a student who has
    (1) an EAD for post-completion OPT or I-765 receipt notice and
    (2) a job or job offer letter should not experience difficulty reenter the U.S. If either of these two conditions is missing, the student is assuming additional risk.

The following questions should help clarify further queries you might have regarding travel during post-completion OPT:

  1. Can I reenter the U.S. if my request for OPT is pending?

    Yes, you may reenter to search for or begin your employment. When you go through U.S. immigration, be prepared to show the immigration inspector your I-765 receipt notice (Form I-797) as proof of eligibility for reentry. Additionally, ifyou have been offered a job, carry a copy of the job offer letter.

    Note: If you depart the U.S. without a job offer before the EAD was issued, but attempt to reenter the U.S. after the EAD was issued, you might experience difficulty reentering the U.S. if you cannot document that you have a job offer. You are allowed a maximum of 90 days of unemployment (120 on STEM OPT extension), including time outside the U.S.

  2. Can I reenter the U.S. if I left while on OPT?

Under normal circumstances, a student who has both (1) a current EAD for post-completion OPT or a receipt notice [Form I-797] and (2) a job or job offer should not experience difficulty reentering the U.S. If either of these two conditions is missing, then the student is assuming risk.

Designated School Officials (DSOs) Who Can Sign Your I-20

Your I-20 form can be endorsed by the following staff members:

  • Anna Gilmore, International Student Advisor
    237 Kirby Student Center

  • Zach Vavra, Program Coordinator
    247 Kirby Student Center

If none of these people are available, schedule an appointment by e-mail. Emergencies: Susana Pelayo-Woodward

Students skiiing in the winter woods
© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 10/06/16 09:45 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations

Cumulative Page Views: 1376