Commencement is a celebration of all you have accomplished. Participation is voluntary but strongly encouraged!
Students who anticipate completing all degree requirements by the end of Fall 2016 are eligible to walk, with program approval. Please consult with your program advisor and Director of Graduate Studies if you wish to participate, but will not have completed all degree requirements by the end of May 2016
UMD Commencement 2016 is scheduled for Saturday, May 7, 2016 at the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, Amsoil Arena. Tickets are not required.
There will be two separate ceremonies:
10:00 a.m. CEHSP, SFA, and CLA students
3:00 p.m. LSBE and SCSE students
Requirements and deadlines
March 1, 2016 is the deadline to register for Commencement.
Log in to "Commence! UMD Commencement Manager" to participate in commencement exercises, and to have your name included in the printed Commencement Program.
Graduation requirements for MEEd, MEHS, MAPL, M.Ed. MSpED, MTAG, and MEng programs:
1. Register using "Commence! UMD Commencement Manager" by March 1st. (This is a new online system.) This is the only way we will know of your intent to participate in commencement exercises, so it is very important that you register by the deadline.
2. Apply to Graduate online through your MyU Portal by the first day of the month in which you intend to complete all degree requirements.
You should also have an approved Graduate Degree Plan on file, and an approved Examining Committee assigned (if applicable). Individual programs may have additional requirements for degree completion. Please check with your program office.
Note: In order to access the Apply to Graduate link, you must also be in active student status.
Graduation requirements for all other graduate programs:
1. Register for Commencement using "Commence! UMD Commencement Manager" by March 1st. (This is a new online system.)
Note: In order to access your Graduation Packet or the Apply to Graduate link, you must be in active student status, and the following milestones must be completed:
- An approved Graduate Degree Plan must be on file with the Graduate School.
- An Examining Committee (if applicable) must be assigned.
For more information regarding Degree Completion Steps, please visit the GSSP website.
Additional requirements for those participating in Commencement Ceremonies:
The UMD Graduation Fair will be held March 3, 2016, 10am - 5pm in Kirby Ballroom. Save 20% during Grad Fair only!
1. Students must obtain the proper academic attire at UMD Stores in order to participate in the ceremonies.
Purchase your cap, gown, hood, and tassel at Lower Level UMD Stores, or at the Grad Fair.
Participating Doctoral degree students can find more information about their regalia by clicking here.
Participating Master's degree students can find more information about their regalia by clicking here.
***NOTE: When ordering Graduation Hoods, please include your Discipline/Degree in the comments area.***
If participating students have any questions about the proper regalia and deadlines by which regalia need to be ordered, please contact UMD Stores
2. More details regarding this year's Commencement are available on the UMD Commencement Information page.
Questions? Contact the UMD Graduate Office at (218) 726-7523, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.